How to Determine the Size of Letter for Sign.
Determining the size of the Sign Letter
Two measurements are usually referred to in sizing flat plastic letters.
For example: 8” on 8 7/8” letter.
- The first number 8” is the size of the letter printed on the plastic panel.
- The second number 8 7/8” is the height of the plastic panel.
The second number - the height of the plastic panel is the measurement needed to make sure the letter fits into the sign tracks.
In this example the height of the plastic panel (or back) is 8 7/8 inches. Some manufactures will make and 8” on 9 inch letter. Most signs have their tracking spaced so size both panels, the 8 7/8th inch and the 9 inch panel will fit.
Flat plastic Changeable letters can be catagorized into two types:
If you don’t have any letters to measure first you need to determine the type of letter you need.
Take a measurement between the track where the letter fits. Be sure to include the grooves the letters fit into.Then you can cut a blank out of poster board to check if it fits into the sign letter tracks.
By following these steps you should be able to determine the letter you need by
- Determining the thickness of your letter and
- Determining the type of sign letter track on your sign
- Determinine the size of letter you need by
- Measuring the height of the plastic panel (or back)
- Measuring the distance between the sign letter track including groove the letters fit into and
- By Cutting out a card board blank to test to insure a proper fit.
Returns are costly. By following these steps you should get the correct type and size changeable letter your need for your sign. Contact us if you need help determining the right letters for your sign.
© 2011 Sign Letter Depot Debbie+